21 February 2006

Ode to Kurt Vonnegut or: How I Learned to Stop Liking Pulp Fiction and like Pulp Fiction

My problem with most fiction: its main purpose is to engender enjoyment. Not that I masochistically hinder myself, though if I did, I hear masochism can be enjoyable; I enjoy reality. If your life sucks, maybe fiction is for you.

Oh, look: a punch line in the first paragraph. Though don't think I'm doing anything but arbitrarily singling out fiction readers. There are worse ways in which people manage to waste their time.

Now to deal with my qualifier: I don't dislike all fiction. Kurt Vonnegut's works are part of this exception. His books are unified: each action and character is sufficiently meaningful, virtually nothing is superfluous. Not only do his books provoke philosophic thought, but the connections throughout the book and sufficient meaning in every event and character make his books healthy for the mind, because there are no loose ends.

I also like fiction that is beautiful, such as Shakespeare, but who wants to hear about that?

The same comments go for movies (I would also include television, but I watch The O.C.). An excellent example, which kills both of the birds with one stone, is Requiem for a Dream. But instead I'll talk about Pulp Fiction to justify my clever wordplay. This movie is a collection of self-sufficient abstracts, in which each character and segment play a significant role. These abstracts provoke thought about the nature of everyday life. There is some philosophy and comedy tossed in, as well as a disturbed chronology and stunted ending to affirm the movie's commitment to abstain from superficiality.

Join me next week when I'll hopefully concentrate even more and have both hands available to type.

11 Comments:

At February 21, 2006 10:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Complementing yourself seems like a waste of time,you have people who kiss your ass that can do that for yourself asshole



By the way you actions are unfair,if anyone tries to differ in opion with you,you respond with this unjustified BS,then people will try to get along with you,in which they are later on called Hypicritical.

I refuse to be considered less intelligant than you,in fact you shouldnt have any reason to believe so.I dont have your math skills or a vocabulary the size of toni's hands,but i have everyday intelligance,viewing of the world we see,that could mtch you any day.You just go along looking for ways to show your "brilliance",i remember looking at you taking a test,it said if you get 16 then your a genuis.I think you should stop tryng to prove,show that your a genuis,just be one.

Stop trying to put yourself in a league,that your not in.

Hey i guess that makes you a hypicrite,loser.

 
At February 22, 2006 5:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What exactly have you done little carpo, to deserve so many negative comments?

--catharine

 
At February 24, 2006 7:57 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honestly, little?

 
At February 24, 2006 10:01 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd hate to think what you're doing with your other hand.

Getting off on your own writings, then?

 
At February 26, 2006 11:16 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do my posts always get deleted? I feel so sad, emo emo emo emo emo. I think Steven's hated so much because he's so elitist and has a superiority complex.

 
At February 27, 2006 7:34 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steven is perfect
thinking, sleeping, transcending
he's just like a robot.

 
At March 01, 2006 11:16 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe, if I could
I would remember all this
Instead, I forget.

 
At March 03, 2006 10:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

response rate lowering
These days, people rarely find
Time to be around

 
At March 19, 2006 9:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

I'd hate to think what you're doing with your other hand.

Getting off on your own writings, then?

February 24, 2006 10:01 PM

------------------------------------------

That is what I first thought once I saw the title of post. I got kinda freaked out, because knowing Steven, it is something that he would do.

 
At March 28, 2006 4:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

why does nobody like steven? I don't even believe that. I think secretly everyone likes steven.

 
At April 13, 2006 9:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

In response to anonymous: I think not only do you suck but you secretly suck.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home